Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why is the Toy Box Empty?


Bradley’s currently on overload today.  He’s sitting next to his toy box systematically emptying it of all its contents until there will be more empty space than full and he can crawl inside it and hide away for a little while.  We recently took down his play yard and are preparing to pass it along to someone else.  You see it was overwhelming the living room and since Bradley climbs out of it at will, well it seemed more hazard to keep it around.  By practicing climbing he just gets that much closer to climbing out of the crib.  Normally this is not an issue, but a kid attached to a short tube that connects to:  what to Bradley is a very attractive, but dangerously heavy IV pole; well it makes me a little nervous.   His first instinct is to grab the pole and then his second is to smack himself in the head with it.  I can’t imagine what he’d do with it after that or if he’d even be conscious after a few attempts…so I try not to let him have too much of a chance at it.  Point is that for now, he needs to not climb so much.   Anyway, when he had the play yard and wasn’t climbing out of it, he seemed to use it as his private office, going in there when he was overwhelmed by life around him.  Now he doesn’t have the play yard, I’ve noticed that he empties the toy box and then either sits on the floor in the middle of all the toys or he empties it enough to let him climb inside.


He had three therapy sessions today, and he worked very hard for all three of them…his nap had to be cut off early to accommodate the third session, his first with his PT at the school.  I almost cancelled it because the rain is threatening and all morning long it was dismal and cold.  But for some reason, at 12:30 the sun came out and stayed out till 1:10, ten minutes after the end of his session.  He loved the playground, but was really tired afterwards.  Now it’s cold and dismal again like the rain is coming any minute now. 

We’re approaching the world campaign to spread the word to end the word, and then on the 21st of March will be the World Down Syndrome Day.   As much as we are fighting for awareness and inclusion and so many are supporting this; there are so many others that want desperately to eradicate anyone like my son.  There are days that my heart feels heavier than others.   Sometimes life just throws up one wall after another and just when you scale one you find yourself climbing another one, and no matter how many times you climb there’s always another one in your way.  That’s the way it feels today and overhead the rain is waiting to pour on us and I’m not sure how big the deluge is going to be. 

Yeah sometimes there is too much information to be gleaned from the web.  I know that I will never live in New Zealand or Denmark – and there’s a pretty good chance that they might be off my visit list forever.  Europe is close to falling off to me; they have people taking petitions to the court to end the life of babies with Down syndrome that slip through the screening process.  There’s a couple suing because their daughter did just that, slipped under the testing radar – and they want to be compensated for the life they have to live with her and her disability.  Poor kid.  What kind of parent wants compensation for the life they have to live with their child?  This stuff starts my head whirling. 

Here’s the thing, I’m a wuss at heart – it happened the day I had my first child.  I would try to play it off but I am the worst liar in the world and those that know me would laugh at me.  So there it is, I might have the softest heart in the world; I used to have a pretty thin skin but each day it gets a little thicker – it has too.  But I will be honest and say that on days when the world is too much I have a strong urge to pick up Bradley and climb into his toy box and hold him on my lap.  It’s obvious that Love for him is not going to be enough; I want to save the world, change the world and make it better for him and every sweet soul like his…but I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.  People with more money than me and more power than me are in charge and I am just a name on a petition and a written letter in support or in attack of legislation that I can’t really influence effectively.   I’m a small person yelling at the top of my lungs and I can’t seem to find Horton right now. 

But sitting on the floor with Bradley on my lap, his toys strewn everywhere around us, that’s what I can do.  I can watch him pick through his toys, curiously observing the things that grab his attention; marveling at the new things he figures out and trying to convince myself that the outside world isn’t waiting to invade.  Trying to promise myself that there is more good than evil out there, and trying to persuade myself to believe it.   For now it’s time to put my little guy in a bath, see if he’ll water the potty again, see if we can snuggle into a warm sleeper, a blanket, a little milk and maybe put his head on my shoulder for much needed sleep in some form of a peaceful way.   That’s what I can do, and on days when I feel overwhelmed like this I fall back on the plan we made when Bradley was born…Just take one day at a time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment