Monday, February 18, 2013

Music Part Three

The Best Moments

I briefly touched on the idea of listening to the girls singing in the backseat as we drove.  Back then the words were never right and the tone was off and everything was slightly off-key.  But the harder they tried the better it was.  We progressed to words are right, tone is good and mostly on-key…but we graduated to the point where Madison got to this point first.  I hope so, she is two years older than her sister.  That being said, this left a wide open door for her to sing at the top of her lungs.  I began to have to ask her to turn down the volume a bit.  I couldn't hear myself think let alone Sydney at all.  Well of course this graduated again to the point where they started competing at the top of their lungs.  Nothing like hearing a little Daughtry screaming in your ears.  But we seem to have worked that out too; and though it isn't perfect harmony, they tend to sing along with the music and more with the music, and believe me – that is music to my ears. 

They both like to see the videos, but mostly they like to see the videos from YouTube where people add the lyrics; as they like to learn the songs.  It’s pretty cute, and you wouldn't think so until you come around the corner and you see the look of complete concentration that Sydney has on her face as she sits at the desk, eyes glued to the monitor, brain absorbing every word – so intense that she doesn't even know you’re there.   What follows are the days of singing: alone in her room, walking through the living room, at the top of her lungs in the shower, at the kitchen table during meals, or homework, or ….well, any time.  But it can be disconcerting when she starts singing: “Lover, lover, lover - you don’t treat me no good no more.”  What?  Or even better: “Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whiskey makes my baby feel  a little frisky.”  Who knew that Country music held so many landmines!   We listen to everything, we just love music.  While we were in Japan her favorite songs were: “Runaway Train” by Daughtry (he calls it “Breakdown”) and “The Highwayman.”  In fact, when we returned to the states, until Eric bought his truck we couldn't listen to the IPod in the car.  When we finally heard the song again, I pull her out of the booster seat and she looks at me and says: “Wow, I've missed the Hymen song Mom.”  Luckily, Sydney has been training me with her oft times stunning comments, so No, I didn't drop her.   I looked at Eric, “To think I was worried about the use of the B word that means you have no parents in the song, I missed THAT part in it!”  I looked at Sydney…  “Highwayman… Highwayman Sydney.”  To which I just get that Sydney shrug and on we go. 

Madison has her radio in her room that played her IPod Shuffle and also the Touch she has now that her grandparents got her.  Any time you walk by her room she is in there dancing and singing with her radio.  “Just Dance 3” and “Just Dance 4” she’s your girl.  She dances in the car, at the store, at the dinner table at home or out…she’ll be standing perfectly still and a moment later for no reason and without warning all of sudden she’ll start busting out with some crazy dance moves.  Her lips are moving, her eyes have a faraway glint and she’s rocking out; completely oblivious to the surprised stares of anyone around her. 
And then there’s Bradley.  He and his Mom spend a considerable amount of time dancing…just me and him on our own during the day.  Life can’ t be all puzzles and blocks…sometimes you have to have fun too!  Turn on Imagine Dragons, “It’s Time” and on his own, Bradley starts tapping out the rhythm, clapping and patting his legs…so yeah, that’s one of our new favorite songs!  At night, after some books we turn on music and let him relax to the calmer music in our ITunes and it’s not unusual to hear Bach and Vivaldi open for Rascal Flatts or Blake Shelton or Suzy Bogguss. 

But I promised the best moments didn't I?  So here is one of our best moments:

One of the times when Bradley was really sick, he was miserable and listless but unable to fall asleep.  The girls were home from school and I was desperate to help Bradley get a nap and feel a little better.  So I was on YouTube, pulling up videos just to keep Bradley occupied and hopefully stop the tears.  The girls gathered around us and I switched to videos with lyrics at their request.  While I sat with Bradley on my lap, I had Madison on one side and Sydney on the other.  I pulled up their favorite slower songs and they sang them to their brother: “A Thousand Years” and “God Gave Me You” were the last two they sang with the second finally drifting him into much needed sleep.   It was a perfect moment of peace.  It was a perfect gift and I still don’t know who needed the gift more, Bradley or me…but it Blessed us both.

So do they sing loud or somewhat off-key?  Sometimes.  Do they work at driving me crazy on a daily basis…oh yeah, you betcha!  Do they sometimes lose sight of the fact that they have a little brother and try to ignore him…uh-huh… but they are 8 and 10 after all.  These things prey on me at times because of the potential negatives they can bring.  But I hold onto this memory, this moment in time when everything was okay and their love for their brother meshed with their love of music and they gave him just to him because he needed it, and at the same time gave me the same thing.  He won’t remember the moment, but he will remember the love because these girls can do no wrong as long as they stay with him…let them walk out of the room and all bets are off!  J  

No comments:

Post a Comment