Friday, February 15, 2013

Music


It's About the Music

My girls love music.  I sang to them when they were babies and it couldn't have been all bad because they would ask me for their favorites as they got older.  And as they got older they would sing to their baby dolls and it felt good to me.  I had inadvertently given them something more than a way to fall asleep at night, I had taught them how to comfort themselves and others through music.  And we would dance all over the house.  It was our thing, we loved to mess around and dance in the house - the girls went on to dancing on stage through Ballet and the Jazz.... When we were in Japan, they rode everywhere with me, going to most of the lessons that I taught.  Honestly, if my girls hadn't been so incredibly cute and sweet (not to mention really polite) I am not sure how many students I would have had.  I mean I'm not saying I'm not a good teacher, but couple that with adorable (them, not me) and my students kept adding to my list of clients and my workload.  Some of my fondest memories are driving my little Capa, my girls riding shotgun from the backseat and my Ipod playing music to entertain them on the way.  We always had a little American Idol in our car, we didn't care who was or wasn't listening and frankly who might be watching.  We'd sing...some of us better than others.  It was all about Daughtry and "High School Musical" preferably the third one.  Being little they couldn't always understand the words, so that was my role, I would sing along too - they'd learn it from me and then they'd sing.  They weren't on key or anything, but then they were 4 and 6...and then some.  The only things that have changed has been their ages and their growing musical ability.  

Fast forward to this morning and taking the girls to school.  Madison sits in the front now, because the law says at 10 she can.  I don't dispute this, though I balk at the freeway; but then I am the total overprotective parent so well, deal.  So Kelly Clarkson is on the radio with her newest song "Catch My Breath" and as I drive I am listening to the concert from my girls as they both pick up the song and sing along, without error and when it comes to Madison and incredible amount of passion.  At the same time, she is dancing in her seat.  Again, I am left with this notion that I could care less who is watching as we make our down the street; the important thing is that both of my girls are happy, in this moment, singing at the top of their lungs a song that could easily become their anthem...that mantra in your head that plays over and over to help you get through the things that life will throw at them: 

Now that you know, this is my life, I won't be told it's supposed to be right
Catch my breath, no one can hold me back, I ain't got time for that
Catch my breath, won't let them get me down, it's all so simple now


But isn't that what music is for? To be that soundtrack we keep in our heads, that group of songs that plays to help us get through life. And wouldn't it be great if there comes a day when the girls each have this moment in their lives where they won't be held back or put down? Wouldn't it be great if this could happen and not be a result of something connected to their brother?

As parents, Eric and I worry about Bradley all the time, everyone knows this. On Facebook we keep updates to "Bradley's Buddy Brigade" and those that love Bradley will let us know that they will pray for our son, they will think of him and send him their best healing wishes. These are the things that we combine with our own faith to help us make sense of all the things that Bradley has been through. I keep the girls a little more protected, they're on there...they would be insulted otherwise, but they haven't their own page like their brother. They are both so healthy, so smart, so amazing...their brilliance is not in their intelligence, though believe me when I say with a nod to humility - somehow God gave me two incredibly smart little girls to raise - but theirs is a brilliance from the spirit that shines through their eyes and is difficult to miss. For those that lack the spark they have it can be difficult to view and jealousy has already reared an ugly head to bash at them. But my girls are resilient and they are fighters. I want to say they get it from me...but they are a nice blend of Eric and I - in fact, they took all the good things that we have and they blended them into who they are so much our influence is considerably watered down. Anything bad they got strictly from their Dad...well, except that stubborn streak, and maybe the temper...and well....never mind why point fingers.

So despite the squabbling that follows every morning with these two girls, we had a good morning.  They sang, they danced, and as they left the car to head into school they each turned around and waved to me and their brother. Both left me with a bit of internal music playing in their heads, a jig to their walk letting me know that some song was playing in their minds.  Some song, perhaps Clarkson's had been added to their internal IPod that would play there throughout the day. Even as Madison disappeared around the corner, Sydney with her fingers signing "I Love You" practically skipped away but turned every two steps to kiss her fingers and then sign "I Love You" to me.


Bradley has his own music connection, but that's for another entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment