Thursday, October 10, 2019

Didn’t Get the Memo...Oh Boy!!!

I’m not saying that Bradley and I are typically on the same page; but for the most part, I can figure out what he has cooking in that brain of his.  There are times that he completely baffles me as any good complicated kiddo can.  But then there are times that if he had a neon sign above his head, he’d be telegraphing his next move in huge flashing lights.

The worst times are during illnesses when he suddenly turns off that sign and I am left trying to figure out what he needs.  When he cries and you can’t figure out what it is he needs to stop the crying... ugh!!!  A special circle of Hell that Dante might have considered but didn’t include.

But then there are the other times, when we are so completely not on the same page and whatever he has going on in that brain of his is as surprising to him as it is to me.  Today would be a perfect example of that phenomenon.

After a particularly messy diaper, Mom determined that a shower would be just the ticket and bustled him into one.  He spent most the shower vocalizing as loudly as possible because the acoustics are supreme. But we finally get him washed and out of the shower, dried off, and he takes off.  Luckily, he heads in and climbs into my bed.  So I run in and grab a pull-up and get him covered.  While I am back in his room trying to get a onesie, I hear him running down the hall.  I glance out into the hallway and see him standing in the foyer.  We have a half wall between the hallway and the living room, and on the other side of that wall is our couch.  I have not been a huge fan of the half wall, I think a more open area would be better.  That being said, I want to say I was wrong - the half wall is a Fabulous addition to our house.

So I see Bradley and notice that he is naked.  My first thought is, “Oh hey, he pulled his pull-up off, good job bud.”

As I come down the hall towards him, I then think, “Uh, where is that pull-up?”

I notice he’s leaning over the wall and dropping his pull-up on the couch.  In my head, “Please, let it still be clean.”

Then all thoughts fly out of my head as he is standing in the middle of the hall, (Thank you Lord), on the tile... and he starts peeing against the wall.  Like with effort and some aim.  I notice the aim but still am yelling “No!!!”

He looks at me and laughs... probably the only time in this situation where I know he is thinking “Haha, funny momma.”

I try to grab him, he stops peeing long enough to scoot away from me and almost bust his bum because, “Hello!  Wet floor!!!”  He catches his footing - somehow, and pees again!  How much has he got in him... but wait!  It gets better - apparently he also had a little poop left and proceeds to drop that in the middle of the puddle he made.  Argh!!!!!

I finally scoop him up and get him on the potty, tell him “You poop here, and pee here... not on mommy’s wall or floor!” He just laughs and trickles a tiny bit more and looks at me like - “See!  Just like you asked Momma.”

What does Momma do?  What else can I do?  “Good job Buddy, give me knuckles.  Now let’s clean you up and get you buttoned up so I can clean the wall and floor.”

I get him straightened away, pat him on the back and tell him, “How about next time you tell me when you and I are going to work on potty training.  That way we’re both on the same page okay?”  He; of course, toddled off to find his movie and was completely oblivious to mom working on cleaning up the mess.

Oh well, the floor was due for a cleaning anyway.

Go ahead and laugh, makes life easier in the long run.  Have a great day folks!  31 For 21 Blog Challenge...  Accepting that sometimes you just aren’t going to be on the same page... no matter how hard you try.  Haha.  See you tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment