Friday, October 12, 2018

The Importance of his Movie!

Bradley and I are hanging out this afternoon, I was trying to engage him in some play, but after a bit he kind of blew me off (fear not, this happens a lot so my feelings are still intact) and started watching his movie...that would be his word and sign for his IPad.  So I am sitting here watching and listening to him as he moves from “Boss Baby,” to “Cars 3,” “Taio,” and “Mickey’s Twice Upon A Christmas.”  Why am I listening?  Today Bradley has decided to try to repeat every sound he hears.

From the music, to the exclamations, to the words...he is trying to repeat it all.  And then he starts to respond before the characters do.  I’m not sure which part I enjoy the most, his repetition of all the sounds or his responses, but my gosh - it couldn’t be cuter.  And that’s a good thing because if you sat here with me, the way he watches his movie just might give you an eye twitch.

There has been so little in his life that he can control that once he gets his movie, he takes full control over its operation.  From turning it all the way up and protesting when it gets turned down...to constant repetition of certain parts of movies, to replaying over and over the same episode.  Perfect example, I thought “Taio” was a movie not a series, he only watches the episode with Bong-Bong.  And I am really, really trying hard to not dislike, potentially start to hate Bong-Bong.

My favorites are still “The Wiggles” new ones, old ones, it doesn’t matter, Bradley goes back to them and when he does, he loves to mimic their dance moves.  His anticipation of them and his copying is funny and sweet.  His attention to the details is encouraging too.  I love to see how his brain is trying to work through the processes and how his mind is preparing for what comes next.  Often, I know that he is getting more feedback from the listening than the watching because his preferred method of watching is by lining up his Magna-tiles to watch through them, or his legos...and he can’t see through those.  But he still will interact with the sounds from the movie, anticipating and copying what he hears.  We have yet to figure out why he does any of this, nor have we figured out why he has a need to toss blocks and tiles.  He doesn’t just set them down if he doesn’t want them; rather, he feels like they have to be flung far and wide or they aren’t disposed of properly.

Some days are just frustrating, so it’s imperative that we see the thought process trying to reason out details and plans coming from his brain (even the bad plans) so that we feel a wee bit better about the frustration that he feels and that we feel as his stubborn streak butts heads with our requirements for clean up and listening.  But he keeps working on these and we keep working with him - that one of us is incredibly loud in his protests can be difficult, but we keep pushing through anyhow.

Speaking of loud and clean up... now is the time for clean up and protest, so off I go to Supervise, push, prod, and make the little demon child follow through on clean up.  Probably best that he isn’t completely verbal at this point, not sure I want to understand the words he is theoretically throwing my way right now.  Sigh....

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment