Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Yes Sleeping, No Talking

Not everyone knows this, but my kids are lunatics in their sleep.  We actually had no idea until the girls spent the night with my cousins.  In the middle of the night he heard a thump and a cry, turns out it was Madison running into the edge of a chest while walking in her sleep.  We were aware that she talked in her sleep, we’ve heard her for years.  Turns out it really isn’t something you outgrow...at least not my kid. Nope the shenanigans have continued.  We have found her curled up by the toilet sleeping, I have walked into the kitchen to find her drinking water only to refill her cup, down the water, refill it and down the water... who knows how long that would have continued if I hadn’t stopped her.  Her response was a grunt that might have been “thirsty” and then she walked by me back to bed.  She talks to me a lot during these exchanges and never remembers.  She sometimes just roams the house, no rhyme or reason to it.  My favorites are when she is playing volleyball, yelling at her sister, or yelling out her name.

I walked into her room one night not too long ago thinking I heard a noise.  I found her standing in the middle of her bed.  When I walked in, she crouched - looking surprisingly like she was in a Spider-Man pose.  “Um, Madison what’re doing?”

Her reply, “My pillow fell on the floor.”  So she drops down to lay on her bed and is fast asleep on her pillow.  Okayyyy... walk away without laughing too loud and waking anyone up, so unbelievably hard!

Let’s be real folks, Bradley is not the only reason we have a lock near the top of our front door.

Sydney is no exception to the nighttime craziness.  I walked in to wake her up one morning and she just looked at me and kept repeating: “So tired, so tired, so tired.”  Closed her eyes, put her head back on her pillow and was out.  I had to give her another twenty minutes before I could try again.  Does that count as talking in her sleep?

Traveling with these kids is more adventure than anyone believes.  I wasn’t sure that Sydney talked in her sleep until we went to Vegas for Volleyball.  Five people in the same room, quite cozy.  Once the girls stop fighting over space in their bed, the room gets quiet.  Middle of the night and we are awakened by Sydney yelling at the top of her voice: “Well, screw you and your bucket Sarah!”  Somehow only Eric and I woke up to hear her, and we laughed so hard we thought we were going to wake up Bradley.  Madison not so much, that girl sleeps like a rock and hears nothing.  She sets an alarm only to wake up to turn it off and then go back to sleep, never knowing she turned off her alarm.

Anyway, I don’t know who Sarah is and what the Hell she did to Sydney but she better keep her bucket away from Sydney.

As for Bradley, we think he walks in his sleep too.  He doesn’t talk, though sometimes he cries out just to make sure I don’t sleep too deep.  He’s been known to walk in and climb into bed with Madison; but mostly, he walks to the door of his room, stops and sits there for a bit - sometimes falling asleep right there.  Or, he likes to walk into our room and fling the door against the wall and goes running to dad’s side of the bed and tries to climb into bed but he’s usually too tired or not awake enough to get up on the bed.  Typically, I take him right back to bed and on a good night, he’s asleep as his head hits his pillow.  On other nights, I doze on and off while he decides if sleep is even on his agenda.

All in all, it all comes from somewhere...and it’s not the mom!  Nope, my lunatic kids get their crazy nighttime antics straight from their dad.  Eric talks in his sleep, not quite as often as he used too...but then Madison is taking over that role.  He also runs in his sleep.  Yes, you read that right.  While he sleeps, his little feet will suddenly start shuffling under the blankets, pauses, then shuffles some more.  He did this a lot when we lived in Japan and while he was at work he was busy chasing down the drunken sailors and marines in the Honch, that would follow him into his dreams.  He used to also turn over like he was still sleeping on the carrier.  Like he was trying to step out of his rack, flip, turn, and land back in the bed without ever waking up.  Incredible to witness actually.  He’s been away from the ship for so long that he doesn’t do it as much anymore, but obviously Madison is a chip off the old block, picking up where Dad left off.

These days it always surprises me more when I find out someone is awake more than if they are asleep.  I love this family!  Only this crew can make nocturnal moments so funny it almost doesn’t hurt being awake.  😉


No comments:

Post a Comment