Monday, October 3, 2022

Meh...It's Definitely a Monday!

Day Three

And Good feelings gone…though not forgotten, the glory moments of yesterday still echo in my brain even as I scrubbed Bradley clean in the shower today, took everything to laundry, double and then triple checked the couch and then sat next to him while he ate his PB&J sandwich – trying to not worry that washing my hands five times might not be enough…or – when, in what way and where for the Love of all that is holy – will this sandwich reappear? Not only did he not make the toilet, but he also didn’t attempt to make the toilet, didn’t even give a courtesy grunt that trouble was brewing, and certainly managed to hold the stench in for as long as possible so that he could achieve maximum impact once he unleashed this terror upon his poor unassuming mother. He also waited about ten minutes after his sister had left for the day, so I was vastly outnumbered…oh and the kicker – he had just gone about twenty minutes prior. The stench was so bad (thank you oral antibiotics for that) I had to double check I still had eyebrows once I had him cleaned up. I do have them still in case you were wondering, although I think they might be thinner and slightly singed. Sigh.

Now having been superiorly cleaned and then fed, he is sitting across from me doing what is one of his most favorite things to do in the world. Yes, it involves an iPad…in fact, it involves two. Hold up! Hear me out. We all know he is spoiled rotten, but not in this instance, I swear!

Bradley has a fascination with taking pictures. When he is at school or therapy, he uses his Speech iPad and his voice to communicate his needs and desires. He answers questions and asks them. I hear this is going well and hope to see it someday. You see at home, he uses his voice as much as we can understand, and he uses sign (which only Madison and I understand) and then strictly boycotts the use of his Speech iPad. All attempts have resulted in him switching to camera mode and taking pictures. And as long as no one rats me out or the NSA isn’t reading my blog, I’ll tell you that he likes to take pictures of his favorite shows on the other iPad. At the end of each day, I remove multiple hundreds of pictures (Hear that NSA – I delete them, I don’t sell them. Considering they are rarely in focus – bite me – no one wants them).

Because apparently, I just like to fight with my son, I would always keep his speech iPad under Guided Access, so he can’t get to the camera. Once he figures out the way to get the password screen to pop up with the three clicks – that might never be an option again. He knows his code and how to get into his Speech iPad so that he can get it going to tell emergency personnel or some (hopefully) kind stranger who he is if he gets lost. Although this was always our original intent – help him communicate with a stranger when he is in need – the likelihood he will get lost with this iPad seems to be little to none. He doesn’t take it in his little med backpack when he goes out and about in the world, it’s always in his classroom. Yeah, not the best scenario. So now he has a GPS tracker that he keeps in his little med backpack because that is always with him, and I know this as I watch his blip go to the bathroom or the playground during the day (some reassurance).

Anyway, I digress. Why does spoiled boy have two iPads in his hands right now? His hands. Right there, that’s my current plan. Bradley is horrible about keeping his hands out of his mouth. Horrible about it. Nothing has worked so far. He is oblivious to threats, take his movie, he could care less. He will find a toy, or he will lay to against the side of the couch and cry like a little wounded puppy – hand in his mouth the whole time. So obviously, he doesn’t get it. But remember how I said Bradley loves to take pictures? In order to get his pictures, he has to use both his hands to hold up the Speech iPad to take a picture of the one in his lap, or of his favorite toys.  He does that too. He will line up his favorite toys and take pictures of them either individually or in groups. He actually has some pretty cool shots on there. Those stay, it helps staff at all locations to have an insight into Bradley’s favorite things – or at least favorite enough to record them on film.

Here's the things, while the iPad is in picture taking mode, Bradley is in picture taking mode, and the hands are taking a break from being in his mouth. I thought about this for quite a while before implementing. The last thing I will ever do is undermine school and I was worried that he would be difficult at school if he couldn’t get to his camera. But I have talked to his teacher, we have discussed this interest of his and now, there are times during the day he can earn time with his camera or at least his pictures. Once he takes them, he loves looking at them. The more I can keep his hands out of his mouth, the longer each time, I do believe we can replace the habit of putting them in his mouth all the time. This is a newer work in progress. With how long potty training is taking, I am not optimistic this will be a fast change if it ever happens at all. But I must keep trying. And before you ask – because that would be great question…Yes, I have tried other items to hand him and have him hold. He has access to all kinds of things he can hold in one hand, things he really likes too: from blocks to Magna Tiles, to Dominoes (a fan favorite for souvenirs actually, like the set I brought to him from Las Vegas that say LV, total mom win that day!). All can be successful deterrents, but all can be put down to be put aside for his hands…and quite a few have zoomed right by my head if not bouncing off something vital on the way. He is a boy with strong opinions.

So now he is up and, on the move, – sadly, nowhere near the bathroom. Now I track him down, settle him again and will edit this once we’ve done all that.

31For21 Blog Challenge for Down Syndrome Awareness. If it were easy anyone could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment