Thursday, October 27, 2022

School Party

October 27, 2022

Apparently, Bradley loves almost everything about Halloween. We all know he loves his pumpkin, and I will say that throughout the year he will pull out his Ironman costume and pick up his Winnie the Pooh trick or treat plastic pumpkin then stand at the door waiting for someone to open the door and take him trick or treating. When we were first learning how to do this, the girls would have some kind of treat he liked and after he knocked and tried to say “trick or treat” they would open the door, then they would give him his treat and he’d say “thank you.” 

Super cool right… only, we had to nip it in the bud, he was trying to make it a daily habit and I was way out of treats! So it took some Bradley frustration but he finally accepted that every time he gets into his Ironman costume he doesn’t get to go trick or treating. So now he puts his costume on and he sits with his empty pumpkin in his lap until he’s too warm and strips out of his costume again. 

He doesn’t really love the scary parts of Halloween, but he does love Curious George and the parts in the Halloween movie where this a lot of “Boos!” And the ensuing “Ahhhhs” make his giggle like crazy! If the video uploads, you can have an example of his Curious George love. 



Fast forward to today. Today, his class had a Halloween Party. When he got up I told him that he had to put his costume on. He got so excited! He ran back to his room with me and I helped him into his baseball pants and laid out all his jerseys so he could choose the one he wanted to wear. Bradley chose one of his Hosmer jerseys, because Hosmer is a fan favorite. I got him dressed, shoes on, his backpack set and lunchbox ready to go. As soon as I picked up his backpack and our towel though, he protested and started to cry, with large tears and big sobs. Apparently, I broke my kid’s heart this morning. 

Ugh! SMH!! 

I told him I was sorry and hugged him tight. I told him I understood how upset he was. But then I showed him that the bus had come. So he calmed down and got on the bus and though he didn’t wave bye to me, he didn’t cry on his way to school. 

Turns out, the school party was so much fun! He ate cupcakes and treats and they did crafts. And I know he did crafts because the evidence was all over his pants, so I know he was creative and excited at school. Plus his teacher’s note said he had so much fun at their party. 

Bradley got off the bus full of smiles and hugs, telling me hi and when I asked him if he had a good day, he said “good day.” So I guess in the end it all balances out. I am wishing that there will be a time ahead when Bradley will have a better understanding of what he is waiting for, what is coming… I would love for him to have the excitement of waiting for something without the heartbreak. 

Tomorrow, I am planning to take Bradley to some kind of a pumpkin patch. I am hoping to only come home with one or two pumpkins and not a dozen… if we go to a pumpkin patch, there is no cart and only what our little arms can carry. Thank goodness for ‘little arms!’

For now my little baseball player is sacked out from a very emotional and exciting day. Tomorrow is a new adventure and a new costume. Gotta make these days as much fun as possible, with as much memory building potential as we can. Wish us luck! ❤️🎃

31For21 Blog Challenge for Down Syndrome Awareness and Acceptance. The costume was the treat and the school was the trick… but he still had fun!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment