Monday, October 3, 2016

Asking and Answering


Day Three:  31 for 21 Blog Challenge!  October is Down syndrome Awareness Month!! 

Believe it or not I am pretty easy going.  I am often scared by this life we lead, but I am pretty amicable about things along the way.  I don’t get confrontational with people who stare, I don’t give angry glares at stupid things that children say out of ignorance about my son; the adults are a different animal all together, they should know better…but make no mistake… I am a mama bear.  Just because I work to keep the claws at bay, you should never assume I don’t have them.   And though it seems a little bizarre when I put it in those terms and refer to my husband, I am just as willing to fight for him too.  He isn’t my cub, but without him I have no cubs so,… yeah, I’m not afraid of protecting  him either. 

And don’t misunderstand me here, I don’t run around looking for confrontation.  But having Bradley has put me in the position that I have to be his advocate.  Right now, he is six years old and non-verbal, he can’t stand up for himself.  His Dad and I have to do it for him.  We get a lot of practice, and we are getting better at it.  As for being in a hospital, it doesn’t terrify me like it used too.   Only very special visits will rob my breath, an overnight with an EEG… not too bad, and I can sit in the ER for an entire evening and not chew the ends off of every fingernail, only half of them.  I now understand what each machine is monitoring and I know what the numbers mean and whether or not I should be concerned by them.  I have learned to compartmentalize my concerns and fears, keeping them firmly in check while I assess and evaluate the gravity of a situation.  So it turns out that I have been in training…  I don’t get bullied by doctors anymore.  I used to be kind of meek, I didn’t question enough or press for understanding.  When Madison was three months she had what they called a “Grade Three Reflux” though they could have easily called it a Grade Four and sent her in for the same surgery her brother would later have.  I managed to get through the testing, the xrays, the constant screaming in pain.  Turns out her meds were too high, her previous GI had tried to anticipate her growth, a growth she didn’t have or exceed.  I was too green to ask the what ifs.  I assumed as a doctor he would know best for her and all would be well.  His best intentions were a bit off base, and I don’t fault him, because all we can do is the best we can…he tried.  We would get her straightened out, I would get used to this Apnea Monitor that would be our constant companion until she turned seven months, outgrew her reflux and didn’t need it anymore.  And life would go on.  But I learned that I would and could question things about the kids. 

When Eric had his heart failure in 2004, I was still hesitant, but I got the answers to my questions…and I would get stronger and bolder after that.  I would take his pulse as he tried to return to running and not happy with how high his heart rate was, I went to his next appointment with him.  A change in med dose and we got the results he could live with, literally.  When his asthma kicked up in the middle of the Ocean while he was on an Oil Platform in Iraq, I went to see his Cardiac nurse, and when she popped me in front of his Cardiologist I squelched the desire to escape, stood my ground and had my say.  Turns out these were all just the warmups to prep me for the real battles ahead. 

I have since stood up to a Pulmonologist (but really only because the head doc of the PICU looked at me and asked me what I thought – baby steps) and I have stopped more and more the constant attempts to get IV’s in my son when I know there is another easier and more viable method of getting his meds into him, to the extent that I was ready to gather him up and take him to a different hospital in the middle of the night.   I have battled with Eric’s cardiologist, and I have stumped his doctor with questions she never even though to ask that prompted a call to that same Cardiologist.  I’m not afraid to ask anymore, I’m not afraid to fight anymore. 

So here’s what scares me… critters that slither.  I was working in our front yard and came across a surprisingly large snake skin…I quite working in the front yard.  I have a healthy respect for things that slither and I choose not to invade their territory as much as possible… for that day, they got to stay in their territory because apparently that sucker had climbed this rather overgrown bush like tree.  Snakes in trees?  Yeah, nope, not me.  That’s a whole other nightmare.   

But to stay on track… things that scare me other than critters that slither?  The Answers.  As much as we need them, I am often afraid of what the answers will be, and afraid of the answers that aren’t available.   Talk about darned if you do and darned if you don’t…In the realm of medicine, I fear for Bradley and his health; but honestly, I worry about his Daddy too.  And I worry about Bradley at school, where is the path he’s on going to go and is that the right path for Bradley.  Is it the right path for all of us?  I worry about the girls, are they doing all right mentally, physically and especially emotionally.  I may not know what to do with the answers I get, but I still ask the questions.  I’m guessing the most important thing is that I am still willing to ask the questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment