Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Middle Kids Almost Room

Day 16: 31 For 21 Blog Challenge for Down Syndrome Awareness and Acceptance

It's been a long day, and I barely spent it with Bradley.  While he was being watched by the girls off and on, I was locked in Sydney's new room, painting away.  It's pretty amazing how much goes in to a new room.  In a way, I think there is just as much work after the wall are up as there are putting them up.  But once the walls are up there comes: picking the color, taping up the baseboards, painting the wall, drying enough to remove the tape, then taking little artist brushes to touch up the lines, then there is are the finishing touches.  The baseboards have to be painted, the door has to be taken down and painted because it is a brand new door.  Then we have to get the Vertical Blinds up over the big slider, because it was too expensive to take it out.  The main part is finished, now we have to work on filling the nail holes on the baseboards and then hit those and the door with bright white and we hope that will make the rom really "pop" as I think someone said somewhere in the decorating business.  Who knows, maybe it's just me.  ;-)  Phooey.  But for right now we are almost done.  Once the blinds go up she can start moving in.  She has been incredibly patient throughout this whole thing.  I think she knows me pretty well by now, and she knows that the more I get pushed the less I want to do the project.  So thus far, she never asked when they were coming to put up the wall, or how quickly we could get it painted.  Tonight, seeing it so incredibly close to done she wanted to move in, but we told her "No" she has to wait a couple more days for the window covering.  But everything else will be done by this weekend, and if I have to tack up a blanket till the blinds go up, she will be sleeping in there on Saturday night.  I feel this sense of urgency now too; hers is based on excitement, mine is based on how quickly life changes in this house.  The painting of her room was drastically delayed because Dad had some chest pain and had to spend the night in the hospital.  Since then, he has been tired, but he'll recover and be better...but I finished the rest of the painting in her room.  I sent him outside instead, fresher air and tiring work but thanks to the size of our yard waste, he is forced to quit before he can overdo it. 

For now, her room is airing out and paint is drying... Tahitian Breeze and some other color that is a shade (like literally a shade) lighter than the Tahitian Breeze.  Whatever, she loves it and so I am happy! 

These two walls are the same color. 
These walls are two different shades, I promise

The only sad part for me is knowing that as soon as I get Sydney gets moved in then Madison is going to be hard to contain.  She will be constantly begging to get her room done.  My hope is to be done by Thanksgiving.  :-)  And by done I mean, she has a week off for Thanksgiving week so... here's the sander, here's the painter tape, here's the paint, the brushes, and the rollers...  got get 'em kid of mine.  I will make an excellent Supervisor while she makes her room exactly what she wants it to be!  She'll need Quality Control since her room has carpet, so I will make sure her carpet doesn't turn out pink.  ;-) 

And all the while, in the back of my mind I am trying to imagine what will be the perfect room for Bradley.  His bed is starting to show some wear, but I think a new mattress and he can last where he is for a few more years, at least until we have to worry less about him falling out of bed.  His room will need sanding and then painting too...but at least there is no carpet to worry about.  Bonus where you can get them. 

Oh well, tonight I am just really tired.  I'm going to ice my knee, put Bradley to bed and then head to bed myself.  Tomorrow morning I'll meet Eric to sit in an IEP meeting to help keep the wheels in motion toward his best possible future.  We took a gamble on this town, for this school district to hope and pray it is the best for Bradley.  I know that the girls are going to bloom where ever I put them, Bradley I always worry about.  He can't tell me about his day; so if something happens, I only know if there is a mark or if someone else sees it and can tell me.  But life is about the gamble, about learning to make the best out of what we have and learning to make what we have make us happy. 

So my girl is getting a room with two shades of that bluish/greenish color, and my other girl just might be choosing two shades of pink - and if they are both smiling and happy when it is done...then I will be ecstatic that something that just takes a majority of elbow grease and not quite as much money, gives us the results of two happy girls. 

As for the Bradley; one day at a time, like always.  The room will come when it comes...by the time we get close to his room, we might have a really great plan.  If not, well...he's sleeping good enough in his room right now and he doesn't seem that bothered by the color at all.  So who knows, maybe by Easter...or next Summer...possibly next Thanksgiving... ah well....who's in a rush anyway. 

Good night all!  Hope you all have a happy Sunday!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment