Tuesday, October 25, 2016

To Your Corners...At last!


Day 25: Blogging for Down Syndrome Awareness and the 31 For 21 Challenge

So the epic moment everyone was waiting on; well Madison and Sydney anyway, happened at last.  Last night, Sydney spent the first night in her new room by herself.  Granted I was excited in a way because I was happy to see the girls happy and really happy to have them in their own space so that they will maybe ease off each other a little bit.  But I also knew something important; this is a defining moment for them.  They will no longer be living in the same room together and somehow learning to get along.  It feels like we are in one of those moments that we will remember forever as the moment they both will separate and go their own way always, or they will decide to find their way back to each other as friends and sisters.  I guess time will tell, but I know standing in Sydney’s room last night as Madison was “Helping” to move Sydney, and Sydney felt Madison was pushing her out of the room, I had to take it all in and feel how painful this really is for a mom.  These girls are rarely not at odds with each other, my hope is that they will find a way to connect and be close when they are older, but I also feel the clock ticking and I know that their time under the same roof is flying by. 

Almost everything is out of Madison’s room that is Sydney’s.  Sydney has to empty her tower so that we can move it easier and maybe not break all its contents.  She is okay with it not being moved yet, but Madison is constantly asking us when we will move it out.  We told her we’re thinking about leaving it forever just to irk her, mostly because I wanted to use the word “irk” and she gets obsessive.  Trying to bring her back from the edge, good grief.  And I think it is important to gently take Sydney completely out of that room and away from her sister, but yet not take too long because we want her to feel like she is at home in her new room completely.  She had a late Volleyball game today, so we’ll try to move it tomorrow, and this weekend we’ll get her a rug to make her room less of an echo chamber and feel more homey.  Then we’ll move on to the next project: concrete removal this weekend.  Madison has no idea how much I would rather sand down her walls to prep for painting.  HAHA… 

So the girls retired to their own rooms last night after dinner, both fussing over their new situations.  In all the activity Bradley has been pushed to a later bed time than we usually do.  Normally he’s down by 7:30 at the latest.  I stooped down to check in on him just before I went to get his night time meds and he looked at me and he had the darkest circles under his eyes.  Poor Baby!  I told Eric, “No Bath” straight to meds, Jammies and bed.  Eric headed to his room with him and I grabbed his meds and met them there.  Bradley barely kept his eyes open during that and was asleep on his pillow within minutes of me sitting down with him; I didn’t even open the book. 

On my way back from his room, I walk by Madison’s room, stop and turn back to her room.  Inside, sitting where her bed USED to be was Sydney, sitting on the floor.  Madison was on her bed doing her homework.  I look at Sydney: “What are you doing?”

Sydney: “My room is lonely.”  And she started to laugh.

Huh?  I merely shook my head and kept walking.  There might be hope yet? 

Sydney went off to her room and as I walked by to tell Madison to get ready for bed, I look at where Sydney’s bed used to be, and Toby the Ginger Cat, is lying on the carpet where he used to always lay on Sydney’s bed.  I laugh and move on just shaking my head.  This cat had run into the patio door twice already that day in Sydney’s room.  He then bounced off the mirrored closet door in Madison’s room twice last night, so I guess he was really tired, possibly traumatized by his activities, possibly traumatized by the moving around…definitely a total crazy animal last night. 

Turns out he’s still nuts.  He hasn’t bounced off any mirrors or doors tonight, but he still feels the need to sleep on the area where Sydney’s bed used to be, we’re all wondering if he’ll ever figure out where she moved too.  Who knows? 

As for Sydney, she said she slept pretty great last night.  Since Madison has a tendency to talk and walk in her sleep, I would think the lack of activity in itself would be really peaceful for Sydney.  I kind of envy her if you want to know the truth, I wouldn’t mind some peaceful sleep too.  J 

Happy kids, freaked out cats…all good in our house, and really quite funny! 

No comments:

Post a Comment