Friday, October 14, 2016

Happy Friday...Finally!!

Day 14:  Blogging for Down Syndrome Awareness, 31 For 21 Challenge

I finished my last volunteer stent at Sydney’s school yesterday, and then was at Bradley’s school today.  It’s ironic; at the Middle School I spent my time trying to give kids about 1/10th of the actual feeling of having a Disability in an attempt to create empathy, and tolerance.  Then over at Bradley’s school, I was helping him do the Jog-a-Thon that the whole school was taking part in, but doing it in a completely isolated means from his other peers.  In terms of Acceptance…Man, we have a whole earth to walk to try and find some sort of middle ground.
I spent fifteen minutes holding Bradley’s hand and jogging in a circle with him.  Our track was much smaller and over in the corner away from the bigger track set up for the other kids, there were certainly benefits to this arrangement.  Our kids can get quickly overwhelmed and trying to bring them around a big track can be quite a challenge.  Our kids can often decide that here is the perfect spot to stop and then do just that, stop and sit and practice seated running, or my favorite was the little guy that had had it and determined that he was going to do his part with vertical running, a term I love and was made famous in the movie “Pitch Perfect”.  Personally, I was ready to join that little guy as vertical running is my favorite form of Cardio.  But Bradley and I soldiered on and was doing well until that darn Tiger Mascot showed up, I had a hard time getting him to turn that corner from then on, and the Tiger was only there for one of his laps.  Anyway, at the Middle School we wanted to encourage the connection to happen with typically developing and not typically developing kids.  If one kid could show empathy then maybe, just maybe we could move from tolerance to acceptance?

For the most part over there; the kids were polite and friendly, and some just wanted to grab handfuls of my Starburst and sneak off with them.  Hard not to get irritated and want to just walk away when you get that kind of nonsense.  But lucky for me, the Tech teacher was also volunteering and he personally invited us volunteers to join the teachers in the Teacher’s Lounge because the Science and Tech department teachers had brought pie, coffee and tea for the monthly teacher food party.  I was able to quickly put that one annoying group out of mind as I enjoyed some fabulous pie!  J  Food helps put most things into proper perspective!  Wink, wink… 
By far my favorite class was the one that had my daughter in it.  My Sydney girl ran in, saw me and grabbed a hug and kiss before she sat in line, then I got hugs as she came and left my center, and then another as they had to leave to go and change their clothes to end PE and head out.  The girls that connected that she was mine seem to take a little more time, and put a little more effort into trying the skills and trying to do everything well.  They didn’t try to steal my candy so I started giving them extra tasks to try that were more difficult.  My Center was Fine Motor, so the kids put socks on their hands and had to button a shirt and unbutton, string Fruit Loops, and then open a Starburst with the hamper of wearing socks.  For some it was very easy, for some it was very hard and for some it was in the middle.  If they finished early, I had them untie and tie their shoes, for that they could earn more Starbursts, they had to work for those, turns out they all found that task much harder.
At Sydney’s school, I was hoping to see some attempt to mingle the typical with the atypical and help kids lose their fear of my different little guy.  I was hoping to reach kids on their basest level, where they are still young enough to learn something and learn it because deep down they feel it is right.  The idea was to try to get through the stereotypes that are running their young brains through the wringer and get them to look differently at people who are different.  I don’t know that we got anywhere near that, but perhaps one or two will remember the moments, those lessons and be a better friend because of them.  At Bradley’s school, I have no idea what they are trying to teach those kids.  Separation is the norm and how it should be?  And is a Jog-a-Thon even something that should be presented as  an opportunity to help create awareness and acceptance? 
You see, my son is a little guy, he has no idea why we were out there running around in a circle.  Shouldn’t there have been a ball somewhere in the mix?  That would have been so much fun. Instead we spent our time running in a tiny circle, all of them wearing the same shirts, and a frightening Tiger mascot there to scare him around a few turns…yeah…what a confusing mess for him.  And if I say No, don’t take him, then the school gets to say things like: well, we offered to let the kids in his class be a part of a school function and you didn’t show up…so you are the ones making Acceptance difficult.  Huh…  what a fickle and petty little system we have for all of our kids to grow up in.  You let our kids run around and make money for your school, but you don’t really care for us being there anyway.  Yeah, that’s not weird at all. 
So, all in all it was a good week, but long.  I might have reached some middle schoolers, I definitely loved seeing my daughter, seeing the lady running Abilities Awareness week, and I love any time I get to be with my son.  So I guess in the long run, life is about perspective and keeping mine in sight.  I can't change the world to make it better for all my kids in one big fell swoop, about all I can do is work on little parts at each available opportunity...whether it makes sense or not.  That’s about one can hope for and definitely enough to be happy about.  But can I just honestly say, I am so happy it's Friday!!!! 

Enjoy your Friday all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment