Sunday, October 2, 2016

Day Two: 31 for 21 Blog Challenge!


Bringing Awareness is not the only Challenge in this House!  ;-) 
Everyone has their Kryptonite…some of us more than others.  Some of us have an alphabet list of them and just keep track of them that way, makes the paperwork easier.  I could start at A with my list, but I’ve decided to skip ahead and jump to P.  Quite a jump I know, and to avoid any spoilers, anyone contemplating having children, you might want to bow out of here now, this will not be pretty.

Forewarned?  Good...onward then friends.  You see, I have never been a super star mom that had my kids potty-trained after their first step.  I used to avoid discussions of success because it was just ridiculous to try to compete with other moms because quite early on I learned a few things about my children and myself along the way.  Research told me, no one is potty training successfully until everything is properly developed.  My girls are late bloomers!  Trust me on this, I didn’t realize it then, but now I see it very clearly.

All that well intentioned advice would not work, ever, in any way, shape or form.  In fact, the more pieces of advice we tried, the more stickers and coins and candy… the more resistance.  Who refuses candy as a child?  A pint size Dictator that’s who. 

Cute little panties to encourage her to give up diapers?  Wait, laughing until tears here on this one… My daughter had a drawer dedicated to her Princess Panties.  There was ceremony, there was Pomp and Circumstance…there was pee down the Princess and Poop down the leg, and that stupid Princess kept right on laughing at me…like nice job Mom, I am dirty now.  Yeah, well shut up your Highness, I have you in six poses and five colors in quantities of five….I can lose you in the trash just as easily as rinse and wash you!  My daughter outgrew more panties that she never wore than she did that she could wear.  But her Grandmas were quite sweet and kept the parade of Princess panties flowing into our house with Birthday and Christmas frequency.  It was like she knew which box was the panties, and as much as she would ignore and discard those annoying panty things would be completely reversed later when she got older and felt she needed bras at a tender age of – well, younger than she needed them and the Grandmas provided those too.  Her Dad and I felt that there should be something to train before we worried about training… but what the Heck, her emotional stability was more important than her rate of development in certain areas…but there I go…completely off the track now.    

And just when I thought she had it… Yeah, we brought a new baby home and it’s almost like there was a memory wipe on how to use the potty at all.  In fact, she was acting like she had never even seen a potty before in her life.  As a sleep deprived new mom having spent eight days in labor off and on…yeah, whatever, the pint size dictator in our house won again.  All the Princess Panties went into the bottom drawer and were out of sight for months.  Until one day, almost nine months later I pulled something out of the bottom drawer of her chest, she noticed the Princess Panties and said she wanted those.  I said to her, you have to pee and poop in your potty and you can have them all the time.  And that was it, she went like she was doing it for years!  I’d have pulled my hair out if I hadn’t been so excited.  One down, one to go! Holy Crap!  Easiest thing I ever did.  Good Grief!!  Massive, and quite painful eye roll!

Everything that didn’t work for the first one, didn’t work with the second one.  And everything that did work for the first, didn’t work for the second one.  I was tempted to send the second one to potty camp but couldn’t find any such beast to send her too.  Since heavy drinking was out because I really don’t like alcohol…we kept pushing on.  And we HAD it, we were on the cusp but  just couldn’t get there.  Frustration set in!  I actually yelled at her for a mess, and I stopped in the middle as I caught myself.  What the Hell was wrong with me?  Yelling at my daughter because she wouldn’t poop in a potty?  Good God!  I cleaned her up, hugged her tight, told I was sorry, asked her to forgive me, then I told her that I loved her and told her to go play.  From that moment on, I told her Dad, if she makes a mistake, clean her up and send her on her way, don’t say anything.  She had two more accidents, and then two days later it never happened again.  Using the potty was within her control, use it or not – she had to decide, I couldn’t make her do it, she had to decide to do it.  Turns out she is still quite willful and stubborn…who knew!?  The red in her hair gave us all the warning we’d ever need, trust me!

So here I am.  Somehow I have successfully potty trained two children…surely a third cannot be that hard right?  Hahahaha… sometimes I am so naïve it is quite painful! 

Bradley is his own little personality.  He’s developing a little later than the girls, and he’s still not potty trained.  I have tried all the tricks that did and did not work with the girls…yeah, nothing.  I get little glimmers of hope once in a while.  Sometimes he will sit on his potty and we have success…and then sometimes, he likes to mess with me.  And it’s never easy you see, his gastro tract is so compromised he has to have daily Miralax to help him go, without it, he doesn’t go.  With it, well..let’s just say that there are some days that there is no stopping the go.

Two weeks ago, he showed me promising potty habits, we were on the changing table and I asked and he seemed excited so we ran to the potty and success!  Potty dance for all of us!  He washed his hands and off we went.  So I thought – let’s try all big boy pants on Saturday, see how we do!  Oh My God!!! 

We started out awesome!  He peed, we washed our hands, thirty minutes later he peed and pooped and washed our hands!  Woohoo!  We were well on our way!  AND then…then the wheels fell off the wagon! 

Turns out we were having one of THOSE Miralax days… there was to be a lot of going!  A LOT, like epic proportions!  Too bad this didn’t happen right away.  I mean at first I didn’t know, and he was doing well with our old Pediatrician’s method of keep the potty in the room where he is – so I had it on a towel to protect the carpet, and he had easy access while he was confined to the area watching a favorite movie.  Hmmmm…  So about the time I learned that this was going to be a lot of going potty day, he started in his pants, while on my lap, and while I got him to the potty and he finished there… the result was on my pants and in his big boy pants.  Argh!!!!!!!! I have poop on me!!  But wait, there’s more! 

I grab the dog and put her in my room cause hers is not the help I need or want (and dogs are just gross sometimes), I come back and he’s ready to get up so I clean him up.  Thinking I have a minute (and man, I have to stop thinking!) I turn to his potty to pick up the little bowl to take to rinse out and maybe grab new pants for me on my way back…and I hear that grunt, you know that little grunt noise that lets you know it’s coming.  But there was no grunt and then ease to the potty.  NOOO!!!  It was more of a grunt of “INCOMING!!!!!” and plop!  Sometimes the world slows, like literally…like your brain can’t quite fathom the horror before you and it spins out ever so slowly so you can catch up… yeah, like that!  I stared at him in utter horror and fascination, then at the chaos he had wreaked in less than thirty seconds.  In that moment, I bowed to the Universe, took the King of Poop back to his bedroom and back into a diaper.  Then I spent the next thirty minutes cleaning, bleaching and fumigating my house.  I might have used too much baking soda as parts of my carpet are slightly white… I used the bleach on the potty and my pants, not the carpet…I still had a few brain cells working. 

So the current pint size dictator in our house continues to wear diapers and might until he reaches puberty…or at least the week long Thanksgiving break coming up.  I believe that I will have forgotten this debacle of potty training attempt and be willing to give it another go.  But that is not a given…I just might be feeling the pressure of having a son who is almost seven and still no closer to potty trained than he was yesterday.  I know his Gastro issues are quite a challenge, but I do believe that someday we will get there…I just am not placing bets in Vegas for this year.   

The best part:  His Dad walks in the door and goes: “Smells like poop.  And what possessed you to give this a go today?”  He’s still walking around don’t worry, but I kind of wanted to punch him, instead he gave me a big hug and promised that someday we’ll get there.  Good man that Daddy guy! 

Not for the Faint of heart this potty training thing!  Raising awareness one soiled diaper at a time…just kidding.  Bradley will take longer to get there, but he will.  He’ll learn all he needs to learn and he will do it in his own time.  Sometimes you just have to embrace patience and faith…and bleach wipes…bleach wipes are truly your friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment