Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day One - 2014

Hey, hey, hey!!! Guess what day it is!????  If you said Hump Day, I give you big props for your pop culture connections.  If you said October 1st, you get big props for knowing a new month is upon us. If you said a little too much closer to Christmas...well, yes but bah humbug to you ya Grinch!  ;-).

But....if you said it's the start of Down syndrome Awareness Month, I am sending you big, sloppy smooches for being so connected to Bradley.  Now, if you just did a huge eye roll because you know what I am going to say next (totally taking the big smooches back if you did) but October marks the start of the "31 for 21 Challenge" as I Blog everyday in the month of October in an attempt to bring Awareness about Down syndrome, awareness about how amazing my son is, how this family rocks with a little extra something courtesy of my awesome son.  I'm going to update on the puzzle of Bradley's medical life which is not always good news... And I'm going to update on Bradley's life when we sometimes aren't at the hospital; hush, it happens.   And, I'm going to update on my other two kids because my ten year old is still funny as Hell, and my twelve year old is still our passionate and compassionate touchstone.

If you didn't know it yet, I'm hoping that somehow I can bridge the gap between my world and yours so that you might learn that life is going to roll the dice and give you a hand to play; that my hand is a pretty good one.  Wishing away the sadness, wondering why, all those thoughts never go away, they always creep in; learning how to see your life, to really see, is the actual work.  And therein lies the big payoff.  My children are trying to teach me how to see them, how to lead them from here to there successfully.  That's the job I didn't realize I was applying for, and the one that I didn't know how much I would love.  I always tease my husband about how I didn't want kids, he did.  Tease as I will, the truth is simply this: Thank God he was smarter than me on this one, and Thank God I was smart enough to listen.  These kids are a whole lot of work!  Everyday, they are a lot of work.  But everyday I am so Blessed that they're here and mine!

So come with me on another October journey.  We have a lot of ground to cover in this house!  ;-).

Happy October!  Happy Down syndrome Awareness month!   Thank you for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment