Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Waiting, Again

Coming in on Day 28 of the "31 For 21: Blogging Challenge."

We're coming to the end of October, and I can't believe that we are about to put another one in the books.  A month that started with so much potential is going to slide into the realm of "not quite yet." We're getting kind of tired of "not quite yet."

October was supposed to be a second attempt at a new job for Dad, but that has been delayed again.  Every potential has been found to be pushed back again and again.  Bradley was supposed to go to school, but now there are limitations.  Bradley's pediatrician was giving the go ahead and the big push to start Bradley in the classroom one day a week when the kids come back from Fall Break.  But now we need to wait.  And it's not the Mom or the school putting the breaks on, it's the pediatrician.

When we knew we couldn't delay any further on having Bradley's ears taken care of, we agreed to let his pediatrician take a look at his ears and weigh in.  He was in line with the others because Bradley isn't in any position to wait for a long period of time to get his ears taken care of.   On this, we are all in agreement.  The funny thing is this...I thought I was the one holding back on letting Bradley face the germ ridden school.  I let him venture in to capture the end of the day germs, and when his teacher suggested we start him the week we come back from break for one day, that seemed like the way to go; after all, his Pediatrician only gave him a letter for a month before starting in at an actual classroom setting.  So as an FYI for his doc, I mention this to him.  He sits there and nods and looks at me and goes: "We'll see."

I just kind of cocked my head, and said, "Okay."  And he said it again and I just nodded.  I'm not mad, I'm not worried about the delays for Bradley.  I know that in part his issues right now might have those end of the day germs as contributors...we knew this could happen.  I also know that by fixing his ears we are giving him a fighting chance of actually getting into the classroom, sooner than later.  I know the potential he has, I see the way he works with his teachers, I see the way he sort of agrees to work with me over the last ten days without his teachers.  I say sort of, because he was willing to do three puzzles in a row with me, and that is pulling teeth on a normal day.

I've watched him take an interest in playing around other kids at the Buddy Walk, and I've seen the way his play has changed with the girls.  I walked in on a hug fest the other day, and it was Awesome.  Sitting on Sydney's bed, Bradley was trying to throw off all her stuffed animals, but she told him "No, hug them, don't throw them."  Thus began the Great Hug Fest of 2014.  He hugged, then kissed every stuffed animal she owns.  First him, then he gave it to Sydney to hug and kiss, then took them back, and repeat, then to Madison, then back, then to me, and back...those animals had more loving than they ever dreamed possible.  The fact that he was playing with the stuffed animals was big, he normally has no place for them in his world.  ;-)  He crawls into his box of Little People and searches until he finds his horse, and that thing gets trotted all over the place.  And then there's Murray Wiggle.  That doll walks and dances and for some reason he runs around without his shirt on quite a bit!  I don't want to think about why that is, but I am sure it has something to do with Bradley constantly taking off his own shirt...over and over again!  He starts dropping his pants successfully and I think we will be weeks away from potty training!  Of course I am waiting patiently, I am the poster child for Patience!  HAHA...I know, look out for lightning!

So, anyway, back to one day at a time as we approach another surgery for Bradley.  Is this a big surgery?  No, not really.  But he will be sedated, again.  And we'll breathe easier when he's all done and awake again.  I always feel better when I have him back in my arms in that uncomfortable rocking chair they always put me in.  That just means he's breathing well, and his rates are good, so it's safe for me to hold him again.  He's usually crying, he's usually not sure where he is, and doesn't know I'm there and holding him really...but I know he's all right.  That's what I'm waiting for, I want that moment.

So...we wait.  We wait for tomorrow, and get through it...then we look at Thursday and face it.  We'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here, today is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment