Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Go Ask Sydney

As some know, I try to keep our extended family updated on the kids on Facebook.  Facebook is not for everyone, it's not my favorite thing either, but then I'm more of a gamer, so that is interesting to me.  But other than that, I try to make sure we include updates on the girls and Bradley, and I try to include the tidbits of humor in our lives that make everyday go by a little better.  That's where Sydney  comes in.  No matter how difficult a day, a week, a month may be, Sydney finds a way to make us laugh.

Here's just a few little examples to set up today's sequence of events:

When Sydney was three, she took her sister's toy.  Not knowing this we searched everywhere for it.  Frustrated, grandma asked Sydney if she had taken the toy.  She said No.  Grandma then said to her, well we're looking for it if you see it.  Sydney nods and turns to walk down the hall towards her room, on the way she says in her three year old "whisper"..."Now where did I put that?"

Or this one, not too long later, our remotes came up missing, for like three days.  We searched high and low and I tore the house apart!  Quite possibly, my house was cleaner than it had ever been.  As frustration settled in, I was about to give up.  I had searched every drawer and cupboard in the house, and nothing.  Without thinking much about it I looked at Sydney and asked her: "Hey, have you seen our remotes?"  Never expecting an answer.  She didn't answer, but she did show me to the only drawer I had not looked in, which was the top nightstand drawer of hers.  I had searched all her chest of drawers and her bed, and her toy box....even her sock drawer in her nightstand, nothing!  But I somehow missed looking in her nightstand top drawer.  Sure enough, they were in the drawer.  To this day I can't help but wonder, did I look but she moved them around?  And I wonder, how long would she have let us keep looking before she pulled them out herself.  That day, made a note to ourselves, always ask Sydney specifically, because the general "Anybody seen the remote?" Was not specific enough.  

Fast forward a bit.  When Madison was in first grade, Sydney and I  walked her to school.  I always put my military ID in my back pocket.  On Mondays, I would come in and put the ID on the bar in the kitchen and went in to get ready for work.  I came back in and the ID was gone.  I took my wallet apart and the junk drawer...nothing.  Finally, I glanced at Sydney, remembered the remote incident and for kicks and giggles, I asked her if she'd seen it.  She just looked at me, blinked then left the room.  I followed her to her room where she picked up her bathrobe and pulled my ID out of the pocket and handed it to me.  Good thing because I would never have thought to check her bathrobe pocket until I did laundry.  Sigh....

Over time and many discussions and lectures, the kleptomaniac side of her lessened and fewer things have disappeared in our house.  But jump to this morning with me.  There is this old plastic measuring cup with a handle that Grandpa uses for putting water in the Hotshot to make his morning coffee.  When we got up this morning, Eric and I noticed that it was gone.  Considering Bradley thinks the handled cup is the coolest thing, we immediately thought he'd swiped it.  Thus began an in depth search of all his areas, all places of his height, everywhere he might have stashed, dropped or thrown the thing.  Nothing, nowhere to be found.  By then, grandpa was up and took the news much better than we feared, and also looked around a bit.  I finished making Madison's lunch and noticed Eric going in to check the girls room again.  By now, Sydney (who was sleeping in because she has a two week Fall Break) was awake and Eric apparently asked her if she'd seen it.  Next thing I know, Sydney leads Eric to the garage, and a cupboard.  Inside sits the lost measuring cup.  Turns out, yesterday, while playing ball over the gate, Bradley grabbed and tossed the measuring cup at Sydney. So she popped it into the cupboard so he couldn't get it again.  She just failed to let anyone know.

Moral of the Story?  Go to Sydney first.  Like the Godfather, if she didn't order it, she knows about it.   The result, in our house, Sydney always has and will continue to be the catalyst of humor.  The darkest storms are going to weaken under her light, the heaviest burdens are going to lessen through her Will.  And between her and Bradley, put it away or experience the consequences.  ;-).

Have a great Wednesday,  Day 22 of the blog Challenge, proving that life is life, that it is what you make it and it is so much better when you take the time to laugh along the way!  

No comments:

Post a Comment