Monday, October 13, 2014

The Pumpkin Patch Field Trip

Day 13:  Invading the Pumpkin Patch!

I don't know why, but Pumpkin patches are the coolest place to go for a Field Trip.  When I was a kid it was the most fun ever, I mean what's better than missing school?  Why, coming home with a pumpkin.  Well, when I was little, I did not come home from the patch with a pumpkin, but I did get to miss school.  Otherwise, I remember a cool enough day, though there was that incident where a dog bit a little girl, who was not with my class, and that put a damper on the day.  Maybe in the excitement someone gave her my pumpkin to make her feel better.  I would not have. At age six I doubt I would have offered...but I might have.  Oh well, her parents probably sued and that little girl has been set for pumpkins ever since.

But here's the good news....there are still pumpkin patches...less pumpkin picking now, more patches...patches of play areas here and there more like.  But hey, for kids today, they are the bomb diggity.  And for a first Field Trip, well...this trip today was the best ever!  No one got hurt and far as I know, no one got sued.  ;-)  All good my friends!

Next week begins a two week Fall break from school, Bradley's and Sydney's.  The first Thursday we come back, Bradley will go in to the class with the kids on Thursday.  We will build up from there.  Today though, he was invited to join them for their trip to the pumpkin patch.  If he had understood when I told him we were going, he would have been excited, but he has no remembrance of going to a pumpkin patch, so I was excited for him.  And I had good reason to be, man what a place!  So many jumpies and inflatables....if they hadn't made a path with pumpkins on either side (that I kept almost tripping over), I might have never seen the first pumpkin.  As it is, they are mostly a prop, an afterthought.  An, oh, too bad we spent so much money and time on the jumpies, now we have to pop into Ralphs or Home Depot for a pumpkin because we forget to look through the ten they had out there and they weren't anywhere near affordable anyway.  But I digress!
Not too sure how or what I am supposed to do here.  

Our goal was a pumpkin that Bradley could carry, so we were cautiously optimistic we could swing that cost.  Turns out, $7.00 for unlimited jumpies, a bottle of water (huh?), and a small pumpkin he got to pick out.  Total win-win!!  The little boy had a super blast, Dad got a super workout, and now at 8:59 pm, Bradley has been asleep since 8:00 and Dad for five minutes.  :-)

Other big wins for the day?  Bradley worked himself up to where he climbed the ladders up to the top of the slides, once by himself, other times halfway up then with Dad's help...he does not have a lot of great stamina...then after one slide with Dad, he was ready to head on his way on his own.  He sat up for them, which is a triumph in improved core strength.  He was able to bounce a little on them, which is an improvement in balance, not to mention the willingness to just try.  Little Bradley was willing to try, and he learned that there were a lot of things he could do, and a lot that he wanted to do.  He wasn't thrilled to leave, which means he had fun!  So all in all, a great day for Bradley, we were so proud of him.  He just played like the rambunctious almost five year old little boy he is supposed to play like.  Some days are just that great!  :-)
Just keep climbing, just keep climbing....  you get the idea

 Best of all, Dad was there, and not just so I wasn't lugging 35 pounds of Bradley up and through the ladders and obstacle courses.  No, Dad was able to be a part of what is so typical for other little kids, a really fun day at a really great place, with Bradley's most favorite person ever.  I'm not even jealous by that at all...not much...just sometimes....  ;-)))  HAHA

My two best guys!  I love these two! 

Bradley would end up really tired and without much of an outlet to vent off the stimulation, but a second ride in the car to go pick up his sister was enough to send him to sleep.  Until then, he wanted to stay awake, he just couldn't hold his head up for the task. But notice, he's just still really happy! :-)  



He's growing up, and he's getting stronger...look out world!  Bradley is on the move and getting his feet under him.  His world is getting bigger and Mom and Dad are going to do our best to simply keep up!

Have a great Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment