Friday, October 30, 2020

Halloween Day Three

 October 30, 2020

It’s Friday!  Last Friday of the month and last Friday before Halloween!  And just like every Friday, we took Bradley to therapy.  But this Friday was the last in a week of Halloween fun.  So for his third costume of the week - because come on, why not? - we took a little baseball player; specifically a SD Padres Hosmer baseball player to therapy!  

We didn’t get any new crafts or candy, but we did manage to tackle soup and after choking up a little, we did get some down.  Soup has been really hard for Bradley.  He isn’t able to handle the separation of solid from the liquid, and if the liquid is not thick enough, he can’t control how quickly it goes down or how quickly it slides out of his mouth.  He was working with chicken noodle soup and his first attempts were to put the spoon upside down, and when that didn’t work and he was given maximum assistant he tried to take the noodles out to eat by using his fingers.  😂😂. Then, the broth was put into a Dixie cup and his first attempt was to throw it back like a shot, only without the dexterity and ability to down it like a Sailor on shore leave.  Nope, his was to choke it out kind of like how his mom handled shots in College (though she actually doesn’t do much better now than she did then).  😂😂  A second attempt and he drank the broth much better that time. 

Progress!  

With better attempts and successes with feeding we are also getting more language.  During his afternoon therapy, Bradley decided to take all of his Go-Go Smart cars, turn them on and then drop them through his tunnel into his container.  Here’s the language part.  As the Go-Go Smart cars start making noise and saying words, so did Bradley.  We heard: Woo-hoo, Taxi, Convertible, Safe Bus, watch it...and a bunch of other words we haven’t heard before.  Am I little miffed that I get the noise and chaos from the cars on the weekends without the words?  Nahhhh, maybe a little. Sigh...  But the good thing is, I could hear the words coming from the living room and for now that will do.  

Similar to what I told his Speech therapist this morning: we don’t hear “I Hear” and “I See” at home yet.  But we took about a month of working on “I Want” at therapy before we finally got to hear “I want” at home.  So give him a few more weeks of working in therapy and I fully expect to start hearing them added to his home voice. We constantly add phrases in context, “Can I have the car” and my favorite “Can I have a cookie?”  I foresee that “Can I have a cookie” will be the next successful phrase at home. Followed by “I see a cookie.”  I guess you can see that for right now, cookie is a great language motivator for Bradley.  He likes to see them and have them...yep, he’s just like every other kid!  

Not too bad a day!  He got to wear yet another costume, did great in therapy this morning and this afternoon, his School Speech therapy session was yesterday because she had a meeting today, so that meant no Zooms today at all.  It doesn’t really matter that I just got a phone call ten minutes ago at 6:30pm, reminding me that there would be no distance learning classes today... so glad I got that information in a timely manner.  Yeah, I’m not concerned by the return to school plan at all.  Sigh!!

Happy Friday Night my friends!  Now off to wrangle some dinner into the family!  


He was down ready to Catch my pitch! 


Always gonna be his favorite Guy!


Things to think about! 


Shout out to Eric Hosmer!  Loved you in KC, still love you in my hometown SD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment