Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Very Special Concert

My girls are trying to learn how to play a clarinet and a trumpet.  It's only their first year, and this is a critical time for them, now is the time for them to stick with it or head for the hills.  After today, I'm pretty certain that my Trumpet player is a committed lifer.  My Clarinet player might be, but I am wondering if she might be making a move to brass.

At the end of September, the girls and I were sitting in church and while I was flipping through the program for the service I came upon the Concert Series advertisement.  I was thrilled to see that Presidio Brass was coming in October.  The girls recognized the smiling face of our dear friend who holds the honorary title of "Uncle" because he means that much to us.  His wife is Godmother to my kids and she's "Aunt".  So we've all been waiting for this day for about a month, the girls were just a little bit excited.

We were neighbors back before the kids, we became best friends, we became family.  Time and distance have no place other than leaving a longing for more chances to spend time together, a reminder of how important the time we do get together really is, especially for me.  She is my best friend, my touchstone, if you will - my kindred spirit.  No matter how much or how often my world may spiral out of control, she's always there to provide a steadying force I can start over from or in the middle of a hurricane, a port in the storm.

At the concert today, my girls were in awe at seeing someone they love move into the role of artist, and to the girls, that's the same as superstar.  But beyond that, beyond the initial awe there was spellbound, riveted attention.  Madison watched and listened with a concentrated intensity that was sweet to see.  I began to wonder if she was overwhelming in her intensity, but the guys seemed pretty okay with it.  I mean who doesn't want to experience hero-worship right?

Sydney absorbed the music, her hands moving as she watched as if her brain was taking in so much so fast she needed an outlet for her excess energy.  She plays with her hands, almost all the time.  I wonder if her mathematical brain isn't always working.  I wonder if she needs the chance to let go a bit through the movement of her fingers.  I'm not sure.  She seems to do it more when she's anxious, today was our first glimpse of her doing it during extreme concentration and focus.

The girls are now officially groupies and proudly wore their new Presidio Brass t-shirts during the second half of the show, and if I'm not mistaken, Sydney is sleeping in hers as we speak.  After the concert, they were there to help the group sell their shirts and CD's and whatnot, two little minions torn between really yummy snacks and hanging with the band.  Five guys that found it in their patience and compassion to answer lots of questions and help further our daughters' love of music by making the whole experience so incredibly fun and exciting.

There are always moments in our life that will last forever, imprinted safely on my heart.  The Cheerleaders this summer gave me one of those moments with both girls, but especially with Madison.  You can't miss these moments because typically they have so much power that they make the girls cry, or me...most often me.  Their "Uncle" dedicated his highlight song to them, and it made me fight very hard to keep the burning in my eyes from turning into tears.  It was just one of those special moments that became a gift that they will never forget.  Considering it was one of my all-time favorites, "Moon River", I was a bit overwhelmed. Madison managed not to cry, but her smile upped in wattage just a little bit higher than where she'd been; and she leaned towards the music just a little more than she had already been.

We followed all that with a wonderful dinner before our beloved friends headed back towards home, and as we drove away I looked at Eric and had to admit that the hardest part about not being in San Diego is not getting more time with them.

There are so many ups and downs in our life (this time no pun actually intended) that we often just learn to accept what is given and make it something amazing.  But on our journey we have also found that sometimes as we are accepting of a moment, we realize that it is the most incredible of moments, and that something amazing is coming to surround us.  We work a little harder to bring amazing into the girls' lives.  Sometimes Bradley is the catalyst, sometimes it's just being aware of things going on and paying the proper attention to put the girls in the right path.  Either way, after a day like today, we can feel the Blessings circling around and we can feel what amazing is supposed to feel like!

I can't think of a better way to end a Fall Break and send the girls back to school tomorrow with amazing stories to tell.  Friday might have gone haywire, but Saturday and Sunday gave back all the good stuff amplified!

Have a great night everyone.  I can't believe we're at the last Sunday in the "31 for 21: Challenge," but what a great Sunday to have!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment