Wednesday, October 7, 2015

An Update About Words!

So I told you that story yesterday, so I can tell this story today.

Our summer has been a frustration for potty training...but oh my goodness a completely different area of victory! Bradley has a favorite color: Orange.  Most of the time if I try to get Bradley to work on something like signing, or language, colors or shapes...or...well, anything really...I get major push back.  The only thing I have in my favor is that I know this little boy pretty well, we've spent some time together.  ;-)  So this is what I know.  Bradley had started to show signs of choosing between two options.  What I've learned is that he really, really likes orange.  He likes orange enough that he will forget that I annoy him with this whole teach me something mentality and respond to orange. 

So one day, I showed him two shirts so he could make a choice.  I showed him a blue shirt and an orange shirt.  Watching Bradley's eyes light up at the sight was inspiring.  I held them both up and asked him "Which one? Blue or Orange?"  And I signed both colors.  He was excited and signed back orange.  I was so excited I decided to push him a little more.  ;-) 

I pointed to myself and said, "I"...Bradley pointed to himself and said "I"
I signed and said, "Like" ... Bradley signed like and said "ike"
I signed and said, "Orange"...Bradley signed orange and said "urng"
I signed and said, "Shirt" ... Bradley signed shirt and said "rt"

I was so stunned I kept going:

I pointed to myself and said, "I"...Bradley pointed to himself and said "I"
I signed and said, "Like" ... Bradley signed like and said "ike"
I signed and said, "Orange"...Bradley signed orange and said "urng"
I signed and said, "Pants" ... Bradley signed pants and said "nts"

I clapped and cheered and he jumped into my arms (which is most like him falling forward and me catching him before he falls off the changing table...it's a work in progress!) squealing in delight!  I wanted to just laugh, but of course I cried.  I'm that much of a wimp. 

But here's the best part!  Yes, it gets better! 

A couple days later, I decided that we were doing so well with him copying me, I decided to really push my luck.  Back on the changing table, and here we go...back to work when he doesn't know he's back to work.  ;-)  Mom is getting wicked slick!  I looked at him and signed the single sign for "I love you."  And he gave me back the closed fist with one pinky up and shaking it...really close. So then I decided to go for broke...

I pointed to myself and said, "I"...Bradley pointed to himself and said "I"
I signed and said, "Love" ... Bradley signed love and said "uv"
I signed and said, "Daddy"...Bradley signed and said "Dadda"

I then ran through signing and saying "I Love" Sydney, great name sign and "Idnee", Madison "some verbal m sound" and a really good name sign" and last the sign for Mom and "Mama". 

I cheered, he squealed with delight and he jumped (replace jump with falling with little grace) and I caught him.  We hugged each other tight, him with a huge smile...me with a huge smile and yes - I cried my eyes out! 

And as predicted and planned...the signs lead the way to the words.  Bradley is signing "I love you" and he has decided that that takes too much time...so guess what?  Mom is crying again?  Oh yeah!  After a few days of signing after me "I Love You" with me at school in the morning, he dropped his hands and just simply says to me: "Uv you" clear enough and just barely loud enough that his teachers hear him too!  The even better news, he's doing the signs and the sounds with Dad, Madison and Sydney too.  So life is really good! 

We still sign with him and at some point I am hoping that he will spontaneously choose to say I love you with his hands or his mouth...I don't care which, but without someone prompting him first.  I know, cherish this moment, what he's doing now.  And I do, I really really do!  I cherish him and I am so proud of him!  But I also want to make sure that I push him to the next level...we have to keep him growing and always aiming a little higher! 

But then...that's my job, I'm his mom! 

I'm up for the Bradley Challenge, and I am hoping that when it's all said done...Awareness will lead to Acceptance and he will have the best life ever!

Have a great Wednesday!!!  Stand by...Royals play tomorrow and The Walking Dead is back on Sunday, it's gonna be a good week!  ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment