Friday, October 23, 2015

On the Merry-Go-Round!


As we are sitting in the middle of a rain delay with my Royals all tied up with the Blue Jays in Game Five of the Championship Series, my mind has a tendency to stray towards sports.  I played Volleyball in High School, I wasn’t great but if I hadn’t hurt my knee in the summer before my senior year, I might have played more and even started a few times.  But that was not to be for me, I limped along playing as hard as I could and played when I could, but through it all, I was part of a team of mostly really nice girls.  One girl as a Senior was so kind to us Sophomores, when I went to name my daughter, I thought of anyone that gave me negative thoughts with that name and any that gave me positive…she was a positive so I felt good about giving my kiddo the same name.  Silly yes, but still true nonetheless. 

Anyway, last year Madison played for the school Volleyball team.  Oh my gosh, the stress waiting to hear if she made it or not.  I thought I was going to buckle under the strain and she was a hundred times worse!  But she had a great coach, one of those coaches that looks for coachability, enthusiasm, willingness to work hard and willingness to be part of a team.  Madison is all those things.  She is the player that takes a suggestion or a correction and employs it.  She’s not the repeat offender because she listens.  At sports, with coaches, she listens…at home, yeah…not so much! 

This year, no volleyball.  It’s frustrating up here.  The public schools have no Volleyball, the Private schools all have Volleyball.  You have to pay for it up here.  In San Diego, we worried because she didn’t play Club Ball and all the other girls did, but she still made the team.  Her team went on to win the 7th grade Championship and she cried she was so excited.  I was a little weepy too, seeing her that excited, that feels amazing!  Up here there is only Club until Freshman year, or Private school, which is way out of our reach.  We try to let the girls play in some clinics at the Club, but as for playing Club…$5000 for a season for the girls to play on a team for Club is just impossible.  But of course, those are the coaches that are telling the girls, “If these were tryouts for the team I’d be looking at you because you’re doing what I ask.” And my favorite, “I’d put you on my team right now, are you trying out?”  Grrr…You want to smack them and thank them at the same time.

So we have them in these Developing Clinics, helps them develop as players in between School and Club Seasons.  One of the coaches (also one of the owners)  is the coach for the Freshman team, he told us all of his team are Club players, that’s who he takes.  I think it might have been a sales pitch, whereas I asked about another High School…he said they have a lot of non-Club players.  I smiled and told Madison that we might look there, looked at the coach and said, Sorry I got two players…I can’t afford one to play let alone two.  Then his wife hits me up with how the kids get through the season but the ones that don’t play Club get left behind for the next year.  I wanted to say thanks Good Humor Lady…want to turn in your white coat now? 

So I’m definitely frustrated with Volleyball!  And now the girls are trying out for Basketball.  And here’s this whole other basketful of dilemmas. 

My girls are two years and four months apart.  I knew that they would be in High School together, and I knew that there was always this slight possibility that Sydney could make a Varsity team as a sophomore and play on the same team as her sister.  In fact, I considered that as a beautiful potential, not likely but man that would be cool!  Yeah, sure…only…there’s this whole other thing that I also knew about and didn’t want to consider.  It leads down an ugly path, one I’d hoped to avoid…only now we’re walking down that path.

Up here, Middle School is 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  So Sydney and Madison are both at the same school.  That’s very cool.  They both want to play basketball for their school.  That’s very cool!  The school has only one team – 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  Huh…wha…..  Oh that’s so potentially bad!  Grrr!  Now not only do I have this stomach pain as I fret with them over whether they make the team…now I get this whole new dimension of worry.  What happens if one kid makes the team and the other doesn’t?  One would be jubilant and the other devastated.  How do we get ourselves into this mess?  Seriously?!

Oh, and it’s not like it’s a quick process either.  No it has to be an ordeal.  Sydney was supposed to have one day of try outs, Tuesday.  But then they had them all come back on Wednesday, sure we can arrange our lives around your disorganization.  So Sydney goes back on Wednesday and is now trying out on day two with Madison and the rest of the 7th and 8th graders.  On Wednesday, they tell the kids that they will receive notes today if they are invited to another tryout next week.  Three females in this house on pins and needles all day!  The talk before school, “We are aware that one could get called and the other not.  And that’s okay.”  They assured me they were good. 

Good news is that they both got the note.  They both are going to the second (for Madison) and third (for Sydney) tryout!  The girls will fight for spots on the school team; in theory, they aren’t supposed to be fighting each other, but who knows.  It wasn’t supposed to be coached by a parent, but it is.  We’ll see how it goes.  I tell them to go out and do the best they can so they have no regrets, leave it all on the court and be proud of the effort you put in.  I sure hope it pays off for both of them!   

Sigh!!!  After the nail biter game we just survived to send my Royals to the World Series, we’re going to have an easy weekend and start the sports merry-go-around again on Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment