Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Scientists Are Talking

I try very hard to keep up with the latest research into Down syndrome.  I pay attention to clinical, trials of new drugs and I try to follow along to see where those trials do and do not lead.  While I do this I find myself at times inundated with the rhetoric of the opposers to Down syndrome.  You can't escape these people, they are always on the outskirts of the realm of this research, of these discussions.  I try to be fair minded in my life so I try to just accept their presence and ignore their hate, but sometimes it still spews over and burns me.  It's always hard for me to hear someone screaming for the eradication of people with an extra chromosome, that's screaming that my son is not worthy to be here, to have life because he has an extra chromosome.

My belief is that we are all here for a reason, that each of us has something that the world needs.  We are all needed, my gift is not your gift and vice versa.  I tell my girls this all the time, just like I tell them that it may take time to fully understand what they are here to give the world.  I still don't know my own mission.  So I try to make sure that right now all they need to know is that they are important to this world and this family.  I tell them that Even I'm not sure what I am here for, that I believe I have something to offer...perhaps I was supposed to bring them into the world because they are meant to do great things....maybe being Bradley's mom is going to help change the world for my son and those like him.  Maybe that extra chromosome is truly a gift, not a curse.  Maybe one of my girls will manage to create a better world for Bradley...maybe one of them will change the world.  Maybe one of them is meant to change his world.

You see, despite the pathetic amount of research funding provided to scientists regarding Down syndrome, scientists are still working.  Scientists are discovering that plaque particles adhere to neurons in the brain differently in the brain of a person with Down syndrome...this leads to ways to discover how this happens and how it can be stopped.  Recent research has shown how tumors don't solidify in those with that extra chromosome, whereas those of us born without it...we have more potential for developing them.  Leukemia?  Yes, Bradley is more susceptible to have it...but his little DNA strain is more likely to accept treatment and remission.  We'd very much like to never test that, but that's something else that's been discovered.

Hate my son, hate his extra chromosome...but before you destroy every baby that might have a third copy of the 21st chromosome, be aware...his little DNA strand might just hold the key to stopping cancer or Leukemia...or dementia or Alzheimer's.  What else does his little body have to hold the key to before the cries for his extinction are forever silenced and  his life is met with acceptance...and his presence something that one could be grateful about?

As for research, consider putting some of your charitable contributions into the Linda Crnic Institute for Down syndrome at University of Colorado...these are a few of the scientists that are trying to find the cures to Alzheimer's and cancer;as well as, open doors for drugs that help improve short term memory and cognition for people who have an extra 21st chromosome.  The more work they do, the more they know and learn in order to understand, define and cure the diseases that steal so much from so many.  It's time to stop being afraid and stand up together, and stand up for each other.  Differences are beautiful because they make us who we are, and who we are is enough and worthwhile.  Even if one of has an extra chromosome.

Have a great night all!


No comments:

Post a Comment