Thursday, October 22, 2015

My Eleven Year old Guest Blogger


 Bradley


            To my dear brother Bradley, who always knows just when to give you a hug and a brilliant Bradley style smile. You shine so bright, little man, don’t ever let anybody try to bring you down. To the boy who makes the brightest star look dim, I love you more than you will ever know…
          There’s a particular amount of love in life. I believe that love is all of life, and it, as well as we, would not be so without it. A time and place for everything, it’s true, and these are moments life chooses ever so often, yet rarely with love. It can happen to anyone, even me, I just can never seem to see it. Once upon a time though, I did see it, and it changed my life forever.
            Its risks lie under a blanket of faith, with benefits and love above it. But every so often, faith peels away when the body of risk and doubt get too hot. The only thing supporting it is a pillow of hope and a mattress of choice, in which you must believe, in God and yourself.

            Yet I hesitate greatly, if not, entirely, to say that this change, that that moment in my life was bad.
            This moment was undoubtedly Life’s gift to me, with just some tears in the wrapping. Life delivered it to me on the 9th of January, in the year 2010. I shall never forget that day.

            Wrapped in a unique style wrapping, and a different style of ribbon and bow, it came to me as a boy, one diagnosed with Down syndrome. Of course at the time, I had not any knowledge of what that could possibly mean to, or for me; nor that the best present I could ever have asked for was laid in my hands as he opened his sparkling, blue eyes, and stared up at me with bright curiosity.  

            It wasn’t until the first time he opened his mouth and his tiny lips spread upwards like a banana, stretching from ear to ear, as smiled at me, a smile for me, that I knew I knew how much he meant to me. And it wasn’t until now, five years later, that I have finally figured out just how much I mean to him.

            I’m sure you have all viewed him through photos on my mother’s blog, or have read of him on that blog. But just in case you have not, “he” is that number 1 miracle that I have ever witnessed and have called mine. His name is Bradley Burnett.

            And I’m telling you, he is the sweetest five year old boy you will ever meet. Guaranteed. His smile is the first thing you see, and it is irresistible. It’s painful to see him cry, or suffer in silent pain. With eight surgeries, 17 procedures, and countless seizures, there’s a lot to be said about him. And as much as he is different, he is oh so much of the same, and continues to smile every day. There hasn’t been a time where we’ve driven to UCLA or down to Balboa where I don’t feel pain for him and anger against God, thinking, “Why us? Why him? Why does it have to be so unfair?” but I answer these questions. I believe that it is a situation for us and one for us only because we can. And maybe anyone else God may rest the situation on might just crumple to dirt because they simply cannot burden the weight of such a thing. But Bradley does not feel it. He does not know much now, but is learning fast. He does not know of his little flaw yet, but if there’s one thing I know like the back of my hand, it’s him. And you know what he would want? He wouldn’t want us to worry about or for him, or weep for him, or live in sorrow about him. He would want to play and smile and have a good time while it lasted.

            Yet the funny thing is, he isn’t different because he has Down syndrome. Not in the least. It’s a story I will share with you now, to help you understand. It still saddens me and scares me, as some still happens today. But I will start at the beginning, nonetheless.

            As my little ray of sunshine turned 18 months old, everything changed. We had a choice. One that held so much devastation, even I, at age seven, was shocked to a point where breathing seemed pointless, as I couldn’t do so.

I’ll never forget, the blood of my heart, gushing from my eyes, from the wound that is now a scar, as if a sword slashed into my heart’s core, where all veins connect to help me live. This all happened by words that might as well have been the sounds of the world ending. And to some extent, my world truly was ending.

Several hours ago, several days ago, the true value of life meant a whole lot more and had more meaning to me that I might have ever imagined. My parents could not explain it in such a way that would shield me from the blow of the sword as it attacked my heart.

Apparently, Bradley had not been keeping his food down for 18 months, everything he ate and drank was spit back up within an hour. His esophagus was too loose.

Here was our choice, as a result: we could insert a button in his stomach permanently, which attached to a G-tube, so we could get his food to stay down that way, or we didn’t insert the button, and eventually he would starve and… go to heaven.

After the surgery to get the button, I knew that it was never a choice to begin with. I know now I would do anything for Bradley, even if it included laying down my own life if I died knowing that he was still alive, that I saved him another breath.

My heart has healed, blood has filled it again, but that scar is still there, hidden in the depths of my heart, where no one can see it, and it will never go away. I chose to let Bradley into my life, and he chose the same for me. We are bonded together with an unbreakable thread, and for that I am grateful. He is my greatest gift, and I will never EVER regret him or my choice.



I love you so much Bradley, an amount that can’t be charted. Always remember that, always know that you have a place in this world, and in my heart, that no one else can replace. There is never a time where you are not loved, and my dear, all you have to do is smile and open your heart, and you will never be lonely or scared again. Remember that I don’t care about the eight surgeries or 17 procedures in your medical charts, or how many seizures you’ve ever had or might have. All I care about is you as a person, and that will never change. I write about you today so everyone will know what a blessing you and people like you are. Don’t ever be afraid to help someone understand that, and continue to shine like the shooting star you are.

                                    Love always, with no regret,

Sydney


No comments:

Post a Comment