Saturday, October 10, 2015

Day Ten Guest Blogger: Madison

Last year, I invited the girls to take part in the October festivities.  Because the blog is intended to talk about our family with Bradley, I want them to be as much a part of things as they want to be a part of things.  Same goes for his life.  What do I want?  I want to feel secure knowing that they are going to love their brother and be there for him if their Dad and I are gone... What do I tell them?  I hope you have room in your busy, happy life to include your brother.  I want to pressure, but know that that is completely unfair and so not me.  Life will lead where it will lead and I am stubborn enough to hope that Bradley will have mom and dad a good long time...I'm just going to go with that!  Gulp!

Anyway, last year, Madison drew a picture that didn't quite translate well onto the blog, so it went into his book of special memories.  Sydney chose to write, and her work was really, really great!  So proud of my fifth grade superstar and her writing ability.  In fact, when I posted her as my Guest Blogger she got way more reads than I ever do!  Was I jealous?  No...maybe slightly, no, not really...okay a little bit.  But the honest voice and love in her post was pretty amazing and definitely not something I can truly compete with her on, so I don't bother.  She has written again this year, but has decided she wants her English teacher to weigh in before I post it...I am getting okay with this...after all, that was kind of my job before Bradley came along and I do remember one or two things...but hey, we're talking about a kid who saw a magazine at the grocery store today about Carol Burnett and thinks she is related and now believes that THAT explains her ability with comedy.  So her writing will come later this week, so stand by and be prepared for the poetic language that they've been working on at school to come through in her piece.  :-) 

For tonight, it's my sweet Madison's turn.  At 13, her English Class is busy working on trying to find their voices and how to be more involved in the real world, writing about real world events and emotions.  Her piece is as special as she is and just as strong.  Madison wanted a brother from the moment she learned I was pregnant, and that has never changed.  The day we learned we were having a boy, she cried tears of joy while her sister just cried.  And on the day he was born, the day they met...she walked into the hospital room and said: "This is the greatest day of my life!" and meant every word.  If Bradley ever needs a Protector, she is ready to be just that and can I just say, look out world, for she will be a force to be reckoned with! 

Below is the poem she wrote for her brother to be included in this epic journey of blogging this October, my guest blogger, my Madison... 

Trisomy 21
By: Madison Burnett

I dedicate this poem to my brother, who changed my world forever, and will always be in my heart no matter what. I love you so much Bradley!!! :-)

My brother was born in 2010,
in the month of January.
With a genetic disorder,
which is just an extra chromosome.

The disorder is called Down Syndrome,
which makes him just as special.
he may seem different,
but his heart tells differently.

He is the angel that has completed my family,
and made us happier,
than we already were.

People use the R-word,
to offend them.
But, they don’t know everything,
they only go off of what they see.

If you know what it really means,
then you know that it is not right.
So, stand with me,
as I stand for them,
because they matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment